National Instruments has an immediate opening for a Trade Compliance subject matter expert to manage daily trade compliance import and export operations including managing brokers and agents, review declarations and classifications at National Instruments Shanghai. This position also covers the participations in different logistics initiatives and projects.
The successful candidate is a strong individual contributor with significant experience in customs and preferably logistics operations in China and has a capability for managing small team and initiatives and projects to meet business goals and provide operational efficiencies. The position requires the ability to understand technical and regulatory concepts in customs and logistics under the supervision of China Trade Compliance Manager. The candidate ideally has 3+ years experience in international trading including customs and logistics and distribution. The position will be located at NI’s headquarters in Shanghai. Reports locally to China Trade Compliance Manager.
• Manages daily trade compliance import and export operations and assists/monitors document preparation including reviewing declaration elements and other essential declaration information, applying for import/export related licenses/permits such as CCC out-of-scope confirmation etc.
• Supports and manages special trade modes such as Repair and Return, hand carry, temporary import, used equipment import etc.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable trade compliance regulations, including local trade regulations pertaining to import and export, classification anti-boycott, and anti-bribery regulations, as well as NI’s code of ethics policies
• Files and maintains documentation of working paper, commercial documents, policies and procedures for import/export operations
• Works closely with the customer and internal colleagues in manufacturing and sales/services operations to ensure excellent customer satisfaction
• Liaises with the freight forwarders/customs brokers/internal CSR to plan & monitor shipping schedule, especially the End-of-Quarter orders
• Qualifies, engages, supervises and assists local third party logistics providers, including customs brokers in accordance with corporate policies, and ensures performance through regular reviews
• Reviews fee charges from external service providers (broker, forwarder, packaging company etc) and applies for payment information
• Manages to obtain pre classification opinions and registrations according to Company classification strategy
• Supports Trade Compliance Manager in interacting with local customs authorities and other applicable governmental agencies and officials on behalf of NI Shanghai
• Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk through audits and periodic reviews. Proposes developments and implements corrective action plans and procedures for resolution of these issues as needed.
• 3+ years experience in the fields of international trade and logistics, including import and export procedures, transportation/distribution methods and procedures, preferably familiar with local carriers, freight forwarders, customs brokers, and typical fees, services and rates, R&R processes for customers located in China, and in FTZs and bonded facilities.
• Strong individual contributor with the capability for growing into a group leader position to manage a local small team
• Ability to manage small projects and create ideas for continuous improvements possibilities. Also, can execute local initiatives from beginning to end.
• Ability to learn classification strategy of NI and be able to answer classification inquiries with a guidance from NI Global Classification Group and from local Application Engineering Group
• Ability to detect gaps and propose the needed solutions
• Proven ability to make sound decisions
• Ability to effectively multi-task
• Strong attention to detail
• Initiative to undertake additional responsibilities
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Business Applications (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, etc.); ERP applications
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Bachelor’s Degree Required (Preferred Major: Law, International Trade, Business, Economics or Engineering)
• The ideal candidate would have experience in a multi-national high-tech or electronics in mainland China in a similar role.
• Strong ability to communicate in written and spoken English