Position Overview and Responsibilities:
National Instruments has an immediate opening for a Trade Compliance and Logistics subject matter expert to manage trade compliance and logistics operations at NI’s China and Hong Kong subsidiaries. This position includes developing, implementing and managing logistics solutions to ensure efficient delivery of products and services to customers located in Hong Kong, Mainland China, and in FTZs and bonded facilities. The successful candidate is a strong individual contributor and experienced manager, with demonstrated ability to manage staff, teams and initiatives and projects to meet business goals and provide operational efficiencies. The position requires the ability to understand technical and regulatory concepts as well as communicate those concepts. 10 or more years experience in management of trade compliance function with practical and relevant local logistics and distribution experience is required. Travel is required to support regional and global Trade Compliance activities. The position will be located at NI’s headquarters in Shanghai. Reports to Director of Global Trade Compliance.
- Manages trade compliance and logistics operations at NI’s China and Hong Kong subsidiaries.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable trade compliance regulations, including local trade regulations pertaining to import and export, and U.S. export, anti-boycott, and anti-bribery regulations, as well as NI’s code of ethics policies.
- Acts as the primary contact at NI’s operations at NI’s China and Hong Kong subsidiaries for inbound or outbound logistics and trade compliance questions, concerns, etc.
- Tracks, manages and solves issues related to import of large complex orders. Designs and implements a consistent and reliable process to monitor and measure performance for requirements of large complex orders. Works closely with the customer and internal colleagues in manufacturing and sales/services operations to ensure excellent customer satisfaction.
- Develops, implements and manages reliable, consistent, and efficient processes for importation and delivery of products and deployment of systems to China and Hong Kong customers (located in Hong Kong, Mainland China, and in FTZs and bonded facilities), and reverse logistics for product repair and replacement and calibration. These processes will include standard import, expedited import, hand carry, next flight out, priority service, temporary import etc.
- Qualifies, engages, supervises and assists local third party logistics providers, including carriers, customs brokers and freight forwarders.
- Acts as primary contact with local customs authorities and other applicable governmental agencies and officials on behalf of NI China and NI Hong Kong.
- Interfaces with NI Global Trade Compliance Management Team, NI’s Director of Manufacturing Services, NI’s Global Traffic Manager, as well as NI’s local, regional and global business operations staff, management, and legal counsel.
- Participates on NI internal cross-functional teams.
- Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk through audits and periodic reviews. Develops and implements corrective action plans and procedures for resolution of these issues.
- Develops training modules for NI employees and for distribution and supply chain partners to ensure awareness of U.S. export compliance regulations and processes.
- Travels as and when required to fully perform responsibilities and duties of the position.
- Subject matter expert in the fields of trade compliance and logistics, including import and export procedures and trade compliance regulations, transportation/distribution methods and procedures, familiarity with local carriers, freight forwarders, customs brokers, and typical fees, services and rates, R&R processes for customers located in Hong Kong, Mainland China, and in FTZs and bonded facilities
- Strong individual contributor with the ability to manage trade compliance and logistics personnel
- Ability to manage projects and program execution of medium to large scale with cross-functional and cross-regional scope, to drive initiatives providing the relevant timelines, resource needs, and scope required to meet the business goals
- Ability to detect gaps and implement the needed solutions
- Proven ability to make sound decisions
- Ability to effectively multi-task
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in a team environment
- Initiative to undertake additional responsibilities
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Business Applications (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, etc.); ERP applications; PLM applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree Required (Preferred Major: Law, International Trade, Business, Economics or Engineering)
- 10 or more years of experience in trade compliance and logistics management
- The ideal candidate would have experience in a multi-national high-tech or electronics manufacturing company in a role where the candidate has successfully designed and driven large volume and complex shipping solutions in and out of mainland China and Hong Kong as well as Chinese FTZ's
- Strong ability to communicate in written and spoken English